Welcome to the City of Perris. Click here to skip navigation.
City of Perris Logo

Business License

Welcome to the City of Perris. In an effort to keep new and potential business enterprises informed, we encourage you to come into the Finance Department and ask questions... we are here to help you!

SB 1186 - $1 Mandated Fee on All Business Licenses and Renewals
On September 19, 2012 Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 that adds a state fee of $1 on any applicant for a local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal. The purpose is to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified.The SB1186 fee is in addition to your regular business license fee.

To find out more information regarding this bill visit the websites below:
- The Division of the State Architect
- California Commission of Disability Access

The City of Perris will begin charging this additional $1 on  all new and renewing business license applications January 1, 2013.

Easier Access for Business Opportunities
Click on the magazine for Retail and Commercial Opportunities:


Learn more...

Getting Your Business License

If your business will be in a new, or existing building, you'll need to have it inspected so that it passes local building and business codes. Your business might also have a sign, or other special items such as a commercial hood, or sand trap. For all of these, you'll need to contact the City's Planning Department.

Before you begin, it's a good idea to contact a City Planner (951-943-5003) or Building Official (951-443-1029) from the City of Perris to answer questions you may have including:

  • ZONING: Is the prospective location or building you are looking at zoned for the type of business you plan to engage in?
  • BUILDING: Is the building up to present city codes (structural, electrical, etc.)?
  • SIGNS: If you plan to erect advertising structures, you must apply for sign permits.
  • MISCELLANEOUS: Commercial hoods, grease and/or sand traps, building permits, etc, may be required before your business can be opened.

Special permits are required for solicitors or peddlers, secondhand dealers, swap meets, amusement centers, tow trucks, taxis, bingo games, yard sales, dog kennels, ambulances, large family daycare centers, alarms, filming, and painting numbers on curbs.

The payment of a business license fee for transacting and carrying on business under Title V will not relieve you from the payment of any fee for the privilege of doing such business required under any other ordinance of the City or the regulatory provision of other ordinances.

If you change location - or business ownership
Upon receipt of a business license a change of your location or ownership of the business should be filed with this office. A new application is required for both instances. A change of location will not incur an additional license fee, but there is a nominal fee for a replacement license. A change of ownership is treated as a new business.

Business Emergency Information
Please complete and return a Business Contact Card with the Sheriff’ Department. This is for your benefit in the event of an emergency.

Paying for Your Business License

Once you've filled out the business license form, payment can be made:

  • by mail:
    City of Perris
    Economic Development
    101 N. D Street
    Perris, CA 92570
  • online: ipn.paymentus.com/otp/stde/prsb
  • in person
    You can make payments in-person at Perris City Hall during business hours.
    City Hall, 101 N. D Street, Perris, California.
    Business Hours: Monday - Thursday 8 am - 6pm
    Map to City Hall

The City of Perris will begin charging the SB1186 $1 fee on  all new and renewing business license applications starting January 1, 2013.

Restrictions for Home-occupied Businesses

Home occupations conducted solely by the occupant of the premises are permitted in compliance with Perris Municipal Code Section 19.20.020:

Here are some basic restrictions:

  • There is no alteration in the residential character of the premises in connection with such vocation or trade
  • All operations are carried on within the dwelling
  • Not more than twenty-five percent of the ground floor area of the dwelling shall be occupied or used
  • No motor other than electrically driven motors shall be used in connection with the business and that the total horsepower of such motors shall not exceed three horsepower, or one horsepower for any single motor
  • No merchandise or articles shall be displayed for advertising purposes
  • No merchandise or articles pertaining to such home occupation shall be stored other than in the dwelling
  • No assistants shall be employed in connection therewith
  • The premises shall not be used as a place of business or point of sale of the products of such home occupation
  • All operations in connection with such home occupation shall be conducted so as to prevent the emanation of any dust, gas, smoke, noise, fumes, odors, vibrations, or electrical disturbances, which are or may be detrimental to the welfare of the occupants of surrounding properties.

Applying for a Ficticitious Business Name

Here are resources for applying (and publicizing) a fictitious business name.

Tele-Law Library, (951) 369-3563,
Tape 215 for information, or


County Clerk’s Office
2724 Gateway
Riverside, CA 92507
(951) 486-7000


Permits and Sales Tax Information

Here are resources that can help you obtain a seller's permit and/or sales tax number.

State Board of Equalization
3737 Main Street, 10th Floor
Suite 1000
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 680-6400

Franchise Tax Board
464 4th Street, Room 454
San Bernardino, CA 92401
(800) 852-5711


Other Agencies Than Can Help You

Here are agencies that can help with your business needs.

Alcoholic Beverage Control Board
4505 All State Drive, Suite 102
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 782-4400

County Clerk of the Board
4080 Lemon Street
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 955-1060

County Environmental Health Services
800 South Sanderson Avenue
Hemet, CA 92545
(951) 766-2824

Inland Empire Small Business
Development Center
1157 Spruce Street
Riverside, CA 92507
(800) 750-2353 / (909) 781-2345

Contractors State License Board
(800) 321-2752

Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888
(800) 829-1040 / (209) 452-4010